Fall is here…Winter is coming…will you be warm and comfortable through it all? A properly running HVAC system can mean the difference between comfort and discomfort in your home.
The Evanston HVAC experts at Champion Services are here to help you maximize your investment!
Enjoy a warm, worry-free home through the fall and winter when you use these tips to maintain your heating system. Be sure to read our other blog post for more tips on How to Prepare Your HVAC System for Winter!
1) Ensure Proper Air Flow
Locate all the vent and air exchange covers in your home and ensure they are free of dust and debris, and are not blocked by furniture or large objects. This will help to keep dust from blowing around your home and also make sure proper air flow and consistent heat to each room.
If your HVAC unit has pipes that connect to the outside of your house (such as exhaust and fresh air intake pipes), make sure they are clear of debris and not blocked by anything.
2) Check Your Filters
Clean and/or replace your HVAC filters regularly (as often as is recommended by the furnace manufacturer or your HVAC installing expert). In many cases, you may able to vacuum the filter every month (more often if you have pets) and replace the filter every 3-4 months.
3) Clean Your Ducts
Invest in duct cleaning on a regular basis. Before winter is a great time to have them cleaned because the windows will be closed for winter so you won’t get new dust and debris coming in. Vacuum your home around the same time to eliminate any dust that is currently outside of the ductwork, to keep it from cycling back in.
4) Test your HVAC System
Test your HVAC system before you need it. Run your system and listen for unusual sounds or smells. You’ll want to do this for two reasons:
- You might notice a very slight burning smell as a small amount of dust burns off of the heating unit, so it’s nice to be able to open the windows and air that out. (Note: the burning smell should disappear quickly. If it persists or is very strong, shut your HVAC unit down and call an HVAC expert right away!)
- Testing your HVAC system before you need it means that if there is a problem, you can get it fixed right away instead of being uncomfortably cold while the system is being repaired!
If you try running your HVAC system and it doesn’t turn on, look at the following things first:
- Is your HVAC unit plugged in?
- Did you check the circuit breakers to make sure they are in the correct position?
- Do the batteries need to be changed in your thermostat?
5) Know Your HVAC Unit
If you need to call an HVAC professional, check the brand name and model number of your HVAC unit over the phone. This will help them understand the situation better even before they arrive at your home.
Heating Experts in Evanston, WY & Beyond!
With the colder weather on its way, it’s important to make sure that your home is safe and comfortable for your family. That means making sure your heater or heating system is running the way you need it to. Use these tips and ideas to help you have a more comfortable home for your family, and if you need help, don’t hesitate to reach out to us!