After a long, cold winter season, it’s important to check up on your home. Months of low temperatures, ice, and snow can leave devastating effects in Evanston, WY and the surrounding area.
The plumbing, HVAC and electrical pros here at Champion Services have compiled a checklist of things that every homeowner should know when it comes to getting your home ready for spring. Spring home maintenance doesn’t have to be hard, so follow up with our list to see if you’ve covered all the bases!
Feel free to keep reading, or you can download a PDF version of our checklist along with our helpful infographic.
And as always, you can reach out to us at Champion Services with any questions you may have, or to schedule a service appointment!
Exterior Home Inspection
Start by looking over the outside of your home.
- Roof: You can usually spot any roofing issues without having to climb up on top of your house. Check to see if there are any cracked or missing shingles. Strong winds can make your shingles curl and lift up by destroying the bond that keeps your roof together.
- Gutters: Check to see if your gutters are properly draining water and if there is any debris that is blocking the proper drainage of water? Also, check whether your downspout is draining water away from the foundation.
- Yard: Are there any spots in your yard where the ground is considerably lower than it is in the surrounding areas? When it rains, all the water can pool up in one spot. Add compacted soil to low areas.
- Chimney: Are there any bricks that are loose or missing? Consider getting your chimney swept to clear up the flue from winter use.
- Lawn Equipment: Make sure any gas or battery powered lawn equipment is ready to go for the warmer months ahead.
- Sprinkler System: Check the system programing, valve operation and head operation. When starting up your sprinkler system, watch for wet areas in the yard. This could be a sign of a leaking or broken pipe.
- Air Conditioning: Plan early this year! The supply chain is going to require additional time for replacement equipment as well as repair parts, so now’s the time to schedule your AC maintenance service with Champion Services.
- Electrical: Visually inspect your incoming electrical service. Check and test all your outdoor GFCI outlets to ensure they are working properly, and that the covers are in good shape. Be sure to check all your outdoor lighting, too.
Interior Home Inspection
Next, check out the interior of your home.
- Air Filter: Spring is a good time to check on your air filter. Be sure to replace it with a new one!
- Duct Cleaning: Spring is the best time to focus on indoor air quality, which includes having your ducts cleaned and sanitized.
- Dryer Vents: Clean out your dryer vents. It will ensure your dryer is running efficient as well as help eliminate the possibility of a fire hazard.
- Attic: Look for signs of insects and common pests like mice and fungi like mold. Having your attic insulated properly and allowing for optimal airflow will help prevent the growth of mold.
- Basement: Moisture is a common issue in basements. Spring is the best time to look for leaks in cracks, dampness in corners, and water stains on the ceiling.
- Plumbing: Do you have leaky faucets? Check to make you’re your toilets are not leaking by putting a red food coloring in the tank. Let it sit for a half hour. If you see the red in the bowl, you have a leak. Complete an inspection of all your plumbing pipes. It’s also a good practice to replace your washing machine hoses every couple of years.
- Drain Lines: Have a whole home drain cleaning done. Cleaning out all the P-Traps and video inspect your main line.
- Electrical: Having your electrical panel serviced, cleaned, and safety checked will reduce the possibility of an electrical fire. Test all your GFCI outlets to ensure they are working properly. Replace cracked or broken covers and change the batteries in your smoke and CO alarms.
- Humidifier: Change your humidifier filter and clean out the drain line. Verify your settings and check for proper operation.
Help from the Evanston Home Service Pros
If you need any help with this home inspection or you find any problems while doing it, reach out to us at Champion Services to get the plumbing, HVAC or electrical help you need in the Evanston area.
Another great way to ensure your systems are in tip-top shape is to join our Total Home Care Club. Read more about it or give us a call with any questions you may have!